The Cris Cranberry Cherry Relish
Note: Fresh cranberries are packed 12 ounces – not one pound – to a bag, so buy two bags, since most recipes
call for a pound. Extra cranberries freeze well.
- 1 pound fresh cranberries
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- ½ cup cranberry juice
- finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup dried cherries
1. Pick thru the cranberries, rinse then drain well. Combine the cranberries, sugar, orange juice, cranberry
juice and orange zest into a pan. Place over medium heat; boil slowly until berries pop open, about 10 minutes.
2. Skim the foam off the surface with a metal spoon, stir in cherries and let cool to room temp. Cover and
refrigerate. (Lasts up to one month.
The above is the original recipe… to which I make a few additions/changes. I found the original yields a dish that
is quite sweet, and I prefer the 'tart' side of things, SO…
- I use two bags of cranberries
- I use only 1 ½ cups of sugar
- I use the zest to two oranges, then peel them and chop them up in the place of orange juice
- I usually use 2 cups of dried cherries, OR will by 2 cans of pitted cherries. I prefer using unsweetened /
tart cherries. Trader Joe's sells a jar of unsweetened cherries in a juice: for this I use the juice and omit the
cranberry juice from the original recipe.
- BE SURE and skim the foam, otherwise you get this weird consistency to the whole thing.
- Lastly, I found that you can actually FREEZE the relish when complete in a sealed container. However,
after you thaw it, use it within a couple days..
Hope you RELISH the moment!